Happy Birthday Morgan

May 1, 2011 · Posted in Service Dogs
Morgan

As many of you may know, Franz and I had to say good-bye to our beloved Morgan on March 12, 2011. Morgan was a golden retriever who proudly served as my second assistance dog. He came to us 11 years ago and brought with him a silent, soulful, intense presence that changed our lives forever.

Today would have been Morgan’s 13th birthday. And although he is gone, the light he brought into our lives will continue to shine as long as Franz and I hold his memory in our hearts.

I have always heard of selfless love and devotion and putting someone or something’s needs above your own. But I can now say that I experienced that firsthand through my relationship with Morgan. He truly loved his job as an assistance dog and relished spending every moment at home with his family. Morgan taught us the meaning of the words loyalty, tolerance and patience.

Not many people knew Morgan. He never won any international prizes or reached the summit of Mount Everest. He never expected or demanded any accolades for his selfless acts. He just wanted to be by my side making sure I was safe and content.

Morgan ended his life doing just that. Although his body was failing him and his eyesight and hearing were almost completely gone and his immunity system had completely shut down, he still took pride in dressing in his backpack every day and taking his post beside my desk in my home office. Even as we prepared him for his final journey to the vet’s office that fateful Saturday morning, he donned his backpack and proudly assumed the heel position on the left side of my wheelchair.

Being a service dog was Morgan’s first priority. It was his career. It was all he knew and all he wanted to know. Even as he drew his final breath, in his mind, he was still working. As we gathered around him to express our love and heartfelt good-byes, Morgan lay by my wheelchair with dignity and pride.

Dignity was important to Morgan. And, I take comfort in the belief that Morgan knew he had completed his job to the best of his ability. He had given unconditional love and devotion and his job was finally done.

Now, Franz and I are left with the memories and photographs of this special being. There is a tremendous void in our hearts and home. We miss him terribly but we are so thankful that this golden boy graced our lives. We can only hope that we will be worthy of his service and devotion as we carry his memory with us forever.

Happy Birthday my precious golden boy and thank you for all that you did and continue to do for me. You were an angel who blessed us with your presence for a short time. Unfortunately, you could not stay with us forever. It was an unspoken agreement we made with nature from the moment you arrived. And unfortunately, nature came to reclaim her prize.

Good-bye my dear, sweet boy and thank you from the bottom of my heavy, but joy-filled heart.

As the Mexian poet Octavio Paz stated, “Love is an attempt at penetrating another being, but it can only succeed if the surrender is mutual.” For me and Morgan, there was never a question that it was mutual love from the moment our eyes met.

Comments

6 Responses to “Happy Birthday Morgan”

1. Laura on May 2nd, 2011 7:49 am

Beautiful post, thank you for sharing with us!

2. Suzan & Angel Logan on May 2nd, 2011 11:53 am

Marcie, I lost my Golden angel service dog Logan right after you lost Morgan. She was just shy of her 6th birthday, a short but spectacular life, Reading your blog got the tears flowing again but I keep these words (some say attributed to Dr. Seuss) close to my heart … “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened”.

3. Cheryl on May 2nd, 2011 5:14 pm

Absolutely beautiful. Happy birthday to your special angel.

4. Steffi on April 23rd, 2012 12:19 pm

Im so sorry about Morgan. I miss him as much as you do, he was a big part of my life, I’m so glad to have known him.. Without him I wouldn’t know you :)

Just know I celebrate Morgan’s birthday every year!

5. Marcie on April 24th, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks so much for your kind words Steffi and thank you for everything that you contributed to Morgan’s remarkable life and career. He loved you too!!

6. Patti Menser on August 10th, 2012 7:34 pm

Morgan’s story reminded me of mi cat and every first siezure alert dog Cali border collie mix she was truly amzing to me my cat was only ten days old he began at age six to eight weeks old climbing out of his box rubbing in between my leggs at 8:50pm he would stay out until I took my pills then we finaly had to let him stay out, so even though he was only home he assisted me by coming up jumping on me even layed at the bottom of my bed like a dog would, now you remined me of how wonderful of a kitty I had cause like you Cali was put down by her owner in 2006of OCT. 24th I then in that same year have a dream of training my own puppy March 24th had that dream wow then Flipper my boy was still with me he came and woke me from this dream as he heard me talking in my sleep so felt him jump up on me, so now in this same year on April the 6th of 2006 I went to the shelter to find another puppy there was a beauitful border Collie there then found this pup that was in my dream Bassett / Terrier wrie haired her name was Brownnie boy this was the same given name of the pup in my dream that day so Brownnie’s Daisy Mae came home with me she will be six years old this Dec.26th she is doing great,” Flipper was sadly put down due to a digestive problem Dec. 2009 28th at 10:14am we said our last goodbyes came home with him he is in his forever bed beside my shed so GOD BLESS THESE DOGS AND PETS THAT TOUCH OUR LIVES THANKS SO MUCH AND HAAPPY BRITHDAY GOLDEN BOY MORGAN!!!!”"xoxoxoxo PATTI MENSER YOUR PRAYER WARRIOR!”